Travel writing is one of the most sought after jobs in world. Everyone wants to travel and make a living out of it. Mind you – the journey to become a Travel writer is not really an easy one. There are no sure shot ways, most of it depends on your writing charisma and how you frame your words and serving them to the world.
This is a quick ‘How to guide’ for people who are interested in becoming travel writers. It will help you with understanding of how to Pitch yourself and create your own travel identity without much investment.
1. Key to any form of service is to acquire a deep understanding of it first. Keep yourself dipped deep in your area of travel expertise. Don’t let go of any books, blogs, web sites related to it. Stay updated with each and every thing. Your friends should be able to refer to you as an encyclopedia on that topic.
2. Use Technology – Use quick web updating features like RSS feeds, Google Alerts, Newsletters at one place. So that you don’t waste your time in search of them. So make it a thumb rule to Subscribe.
(a) to the RSS feed of any blog you like
(b) install an alert for your area of expertise. Not just one, but try several key words.
3. Now that the part of knowledge inflow is up and running, Start with your own blog. A Travel Blog. If you can buy a unique WordPress domain, it would be best (Does not cost more then a few dollars) but in case you don’t want to in the start then just build upon the usual blogger, WordPress or travelblog domains.
4. Join Travel Forums online, Start participating – make sure to be accurate and impressive with your information. Building a profile on these forums will channelize traffic to your blog as well.
5. Become a guest blogger / writer on highly visited travel web sites
6. Use Social Media – You can’t miss out on a social media strategy to promote yourself. Must have is a Twitter and Facebook page. Add people relevant to your field.
7. Use Ezines and other Article marketing websites that will help you publish your articles and reach out to a large audience
8. Try participating in online/offline travel webinars, forums, shows etc. Have a Business card ready substantiating your credibility.